Sunday, January 22, 2012

Finishing up!

By Tuesday morning all the big projects I had palnned were finished except for one last coat of poly and putting the handles back on the doors and hanging the shelves. After I got the kids on the bus I went back to bed!!!! It was so nice to just relax a little and rest.
I spent the rest of the day cooking a decent meal for the kids and cleaning sawdust out of the other rooms!
Wednesday I finally got the last coat of poly on and put the handles back on. Trimmed out the beadboard around the outlets so I could put in the spacers and reattach the outlets and covers. This took a surprisingly long time!!!!  Frustratingly when I went to hang the shelves I discovered the boards were to short to span from stud to stud so another trip to Lowes for more wood and then more painting. On Thursday husband decided we should change out the sink. We had bought a nice porcelain one with a higher end faucet at the Goodwill over the summer. But I had not planned to do the sink because I would do electric all day but plumbing makes me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!! One stupid drip of water can cause hours worth of extra work. NOT my kind of project. But husband, possibly inspired by all the changes, felt like we could do it and since I thought it would be good practice for when we can afford to put in new countertops  I agreed. Now I will post my budget for the remodel shortly but let me just say that even with the oops-es I had with the dishwasher hose, the paint and the shelf boards, the sink still had me beat. Not including the cost of the sink! We ended up having to redo all the pipes under the sink when they didn't line up with the new sink, besides the typical expenses of new gaskets and plenty of silicone! And for some reason moving the dishwasher in and out to hook up the sink caused it to start leaking too! I HATE, I HATE PLUMBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today marks 2 weeks since I picked up a notebook and my laptop to plan an entire kitchen remodel on about 50 bucks. And except for the tools all over the countertops it is done!
Shelves hung, dishes put away, new sink in, new work triangle working beautifully! Yay! and honestly barring the sink project I did pretty good with my budget. I definitely spent more then intended but isn't that how it always goes? And I have the kitchen I have been wanting as far as layout and color scheme since we bought this house. Not to say I was able to do all I wanted. New counters and new flooring are definitely in our future but not right now and the changes I made make the space much more liveable for now!
Thanks for following along with me on this journey of chaos and frustration! I hope you enjoyed reading about my mistakes and successes. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment