Friday, November 27, 2015

Family Room Upgrade!

A while back I shared with my facebook followers my super fab Craig's List find of a beautiful mantel. Custom, never installed, solid wood and GORGEOUS! I was so excited when I scored it! I picked out some tile for the surround and a little hearth area in front. And then had to convince my husband we could handle another home reno project. Poor Husband Darling. He hates "projects" But I think he was worried I would try to do it all by myself or worse make him help and so he agreed and hired a handy man to help expedite the to-do list.
 I had way more fun they I probably should have smashing that ugly fireplace with a hammer and taking up that disgusting carpet!!! On my list was to take the high end laminate thru from the breakfast room and est of the main floor into the family room to the fireplace. To put a tile hearth in front of the fireplace. Yes, I know code doesn't require a hearth in front of a fireplace but I think it makes it look more fireplace-y. I made up that word, sure did. And to hang the fabulous custom wood surround I had found and add new surround tile.

I had no idea tile could be so complicated but I picked out herringbone marble and it became the biggest part of the whole project! And the most expensive, ouch!!

But after several days and a life in chaos and way to much Taco Bell we began to put it all back together. Here is our before, during and after photos

tile I picked out

custom, never used mantel I found on Craig's List.




Before demo

beginning demo

I love smashing stuff with a hammer!


about a gazillion layers of paint to get this to match my trim

destruction!!

pulling off baseboards to get ready for flooring


buh-bye nasty carpet!

my helper!

dry fitting the mantel

visualizing the beauty!!


this collage shows the navy hot mess this was at house purchase, just before demo and the final product in all it's beauty!



 
I am super in love with how it turned out and I love not having carpet. At least now when there is dirt on the floor I can see it and clean it! The marble herringbone was pricy and difficult but worth it. It is just stunning!

No comments:

Post a Comment