Sunday, November 29, 2015

Thanksgiving Feasting! Recipes and More!!

Happy Gobble Till You Wobble Week!
 I am the sole Thanksgiving cook for our family. Mostly because my food issues and allergies are so severe I can't risk cross contamination if someone else cooks. Last Christmas we had a walnut incident that was pretty scary  so........ I cook to survive!
 Our menu this year is Appetizers: butternut/apple soup shooters with rosemary and pastry leaves garnish,shrimp cocktail, veggie trey with ranch dip, vegan cheddar bacon cheeseball and crackers, pumpkin fudge and spicy pumpkin seeds. Entree:Tofurkey roast stuffed with wild rice and veggies, turkey breast and roasted turkey drumsticks for the carnivores Sides: mashed potatoes and vegan gravy, baked sweet potatoes with a protein powder cinnamon butter, dressing with roasted mushrooms and garlic, dried cranberries and sage veggie sausage, cranberry cheese puffs and dinner rolls, two kinds of cranberry relish, sauteed spinach and mushrooms with maple glazed tofu and fresh made rye and lemon croutons and sparkling cider for the kids and white wine for the adults.. Dessert: mini pumpkin pies and a cool whip and marshmellow fruit salad and coffee. All this for 6 people. Kind of ridiculous I know. But it was delicious!

My recipe for the soup is one I just made up. I microwaved the halved squash till soft and pureed it with a little veggie broth and rice milk and added 1 cup mashed potatoes and 1 cup applesauce. Salt, pepper and a dash of garlic powder. I made it thin enough it could be drank from a cup and then I scooped it into tall soup shooter glasses and garnished with rosemary and pastry leaves I cut from extra pie crust when I made the pumpkin pies.
They were adorable and delicious!

 The cranberry cheese puffs I didn't get a picture of, they disappeared to fast!
 I merely cut strips of puff pastry and layered them in muffin tins pastry, cream cheese, whole berry cranberry sauce, puff pastry and rubbed the tops with vegan butter befor baking till golden brown and bubbly. They were so good I intend to make them again for Christmas morning and add a powdered sugar drizzle.
  Spicy Pumpkin Seeds were simply roasted pumpkin seeds I sprinkled with red pepper powder and baked on the same pan as I was roasting the tofu with maple glaze. They kind of mixed on the pan and made magic.
 This year for the mini pumpkin pies I used arrowroot for a thickener for the first time instead of coconut milk as I have started reacting to coconut. I was a little heavy handed with the spices but I like it that way. And I liked how solid they set up. I will definetly try them again. I only used a little unsweetened apple juice and a few tablespoons of maple syrup to sweeten and I liked the lack of refined sugars.

My family gobbled it all up and loved it. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving full of food, family and love also!

No comments:

Post a Comment