Sunday, June 7, 2015

Pickling, And Not In Mason Jars!

Good Morning y'all,

I have been keeping the ball rolling and knocking out project after project here in our house! I am busier then a beaver after a flash flood! My kids and poor Husband Darlin keep rolling their eyes in their heads every time I walk thru carrying a big bucket of supplies or a big ole blue tarp somewhere. But at least they aren't groaning about me making them do yard work! I will share some of those projects later! I might even try a video tour of the yard! If I can figure out the tech side of it!But now that school is out I have my tech savvy teens to help!




So the back story for this project is 
I have a formica topped C.1974 dining room set with 3 leaves, 6 chairs and a buffet that I restained Minwax Bombay Mahogany in 2009. It is a great well made set and it has served us well thru our kids messiest years. It has held finger painting sessions, crafts, Thanksgiving dinners, birthday cakes, and countless dinner conversations and family meetings. I have a deep emotional attachment to this table for that reason. But aesthetically formica in my formal dining room was well..... I was over it. Husband Darling would tell you it is all Pinterest's fault.
just a few of the moments that have increased my attachment to this table



right after we moved into our first home


birthdays!











But as you can see it really just didn't fit our style anymore.
this is a pic from this years St. Patty's Day post that I never got around to writing, sigh






 As I often do when I want to change something up, I shopped my house first. Starting in the basement and working my way up. I found an old table I trash picked years ago. We used it in the school room when we homeschooled, it became a sewing and craft table in the basement and then a computer lab station so all the kids could be on their computers at the same time for homework or play. Then it became where I laid out decorations for seasonal changes, oh it was once a shelf for storage of camping gear. Well anyway, it has been thru a lot. But it was ugly which is why it has never been a dining table. Pine and covered in what must be like 30 coats of poly until it practically glowed yellow. But solid and handmade, obviously with care. So I decided it needed a new lease on life. A resurrection. Either that or a trip to Goodwill but how could I donate something that still had function for my family???
solid, handmade but ohhhh that yellow pine. It needed a facelift 

 I know y'all have been on pinterest or HGTV and seen all the fuss about chalk paint. I first saw it in use last fall at the Country Living Fair. I knew I wanted to get around to trying it but hadn't had the chance yet. This cried out for that!
3 coats white chalk paint

a couple hours of sanding off the gazillion layers of poly and one coat thinned chalk paint rubbed on

2 more coats of pickling, or thinned paint, rubbed on and then rubbed back off. 

 Don't be jealous of that gorgeous blue tarp. It is protecting my beloved cow rug.But hey, that table looks a hell of a lot different, starting to look pretty darn good!
now to make these chairs work with it a little better. I will share the finished product soon!!!





1 comment:

  1. We are in the process of trying to figure out a table for our dining room. We have our homemade corner nook (out of doors) and we have our table that is actually made out of MDF (?) Board and stain and poly to save lots of money. But we are moving our living room to the boys old room so we can have room for big dinners. I am having so much trouble deciding! I have a 7.5' long old window, probably out of an old sun room. It is 3 panes wide and the panes are approx 11x16. I've thought about using this and adding photos under it so I could change them in and out but I really can't find any on Pinterest that I like. Pinterest has failed me! *Gasp* The other thing is I cannot add a leaf to this... But I have another window pane identical except that it's only two panes wide. Perfect for turning sideways and hanging on my wall because I'm going for a rustic theme. But... Is 2 panes overkill in a small room? I'm wondering. Also- Jason and I are looking into building one where there's a pool table built in. I found the idea on Pinterest but naturally, pictures and no plans. This would definitely be more fun and functional for family time after dinners when we can't go outside and not everyone can fit in the living room. Such decisions. I want to do the chalkboard paint too though so it will fit in with my rustic theme. I've never used it before. I'm really not any kind of a painter either...

    ReplyDelete