Saturday, November 26, 2016

Sometimes What You Need is a Star!

            Every year as I do the decorating I have one tree that doesn't pan out quite the way I expect it too and I have to rethink it. This year it was the living room tree. I was planning a champagne metallic color scheme with lots of white and aged parchment. Inspired by the lyrics of Christmas carols I planned white feather garlands and rolled sheet music and gun metal grey balls and lots of gold balls in matte rubbed finishes. As I started pulling it together it just felt chaotic and confused. So I got to this point and was just unhappy. I was trying out new LED lights we bought at the end of season sales last year and the color was off from what I am used to and it just felt.........cold, lifeless. The crown topper, while in my head screamed "King of Kings!" looked small and irrelevant on the tree. So I stripped it back down and started again. After spending hours placing mesh, ribbon, lights and ornaments to strip it and do it again was a bit disheartening but I wanted to get it closer to my vision.




This photo I snapped at this point in the process and sent to my husband expressing my frustration. He was no help. So I began again. It is closer to where I wanted but I found the ribbon I should have used several days later but just didn't want to tackle taking everything off again, lol. It's close enough for this year. Next year I will use a different tree and slightly different color scheme. I think I might be happier with some champagne colored ribbon and some copper accessories for next year but who knows!









I am happy with how I put the ribbon on and the pheasant feathers came out the way I wanted so there is that!





My favorite thing is the map and banner but I am content with the tree after a trip to Hobby Lobby for a better topper. The crown felt off, forced and overwhelmed but the new star still reflects the meaning behind the carols I was inspired by and reinforces the color scheme and gives the tree some presence and that makes me happy!


I think the scale is better and I kind of like how it floats above the tree a bit!



 I love this little Santa ornament!  And I picked up these white word ornaments for the tree for this year to reinforce the joy to the world, peace on Earth thing.The gunmetal grey balls were new this year too and I think they are stunning!




 I reused the magnolia clip ons from last year's family room tree here this year, I like them! I even used them in the fall decor on the dining room table this year!








I think it all works. Stop in tomorrow to see the garland I put over the doorway, it took me hours to get it just how I wanted it and still had to go back to Hobby Lobby for more supplies!

No comments:

Post a Comment