Sunday, November 20, 2016

Choo Choo Trains and Little Boys

Mamas of little boys all know how much our babies love anything with wheels and power! My middle son was a train fanatic. Thomas the Tank Engine, steam engines, locomotives.....he has forgotten more then I will ever know about trains.  These days he has moved on to sports cars and private planes as his fascination but my heart still flutters when I see a train my baby might have loved one day way back when.
My sweet boy c.2007


 2005  






This year I decided to do a train themed tree on one of our trees. I wasn't sure how it would work exactly but sometimes you just feel inspired and it all magically comes together. This was the tree that was the most fun for me to do this year. And while my oh so cool teenager was less impressed and excited about it then I had hoped I am still in love with it and warmed by the memories it brings to mind.











I loved the way the black and white ribbon echoed the linear train track element and the red made it cheerful.






Seriously, how cute is this!?





And I finished it off with a swath of deco mesh instead of a tree skirt as this is in my kitchen and it gathers plenty of crumbs!



Hands down this  little tree is my favorite part of this year's Christmas decorations!  What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. What a cool idea!! It turned out great! We are putting a train around ours this year too. We tried it several years ago but the boys were 3 and 1 1/2 and they'd never leave it alone. They wanted to carry the train carts off and without realizing they were destroying the track. I just got it down from the attic. Crossing my fingers it isn't in too bad of shape. ;-)

    ReplyDelete