Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Teen Boy Room Re-do!

This is the sample board that inspired the direction for my son's big boy bedroom redecorating project. He is soon to be 13 and well, let's face it, he had outgrown the boats and ponies I put in that room when we bought our house 6 years ago. He asked for a grown up look but wasn't sure what that meant but lucky him, I was able to help. So I came up with an adorable travel theme, he shot down all my ideas. Dang it! And he is to big to boss around, well as much anyway. So I stopped thinking and listened, I poured over pinterest and did searches and looked at catalogs and came up with Plan B. Upon running this option by the Teen Machine it was approved. I got started and he started complaining, "why is it taking so long?' "when will you be done?" "Can I have my room back now?" Just as my patience was running dangerously thin I finished the painting an the stripes and got the furniture put back but now the fun begins! New space plan, new accessories, etc. I wanted to use a lot of his special things and interests as a guide, I wanted him to have ownership of the space. So here's the finished product, it took me weeks of effort but in the end he was happy and that is all that counts!
Wait, there's more!
Aaaaaand more!
I scored this adorable ladder shelf at an online yard sale. It was a scratched up ugly cherry but with paint it has new life. The desk was a Target clearance find and I just made a little cushion for his chair, hung some shelves and I will tell you more about his bulletin board in a sec.
so cute, right!?
Also, geez kids have a ton of crap!


this is his Bright Idea Lightbulb, it hangs over his head when he sits at his desk to encourage greatness.
Ok here is his bulletin board. I found it in someone's trash. They had taken apart a home made rabbit hutch. I sanded it, scrubbed it, twice and painted it. With some binder clips he has a place to put "stuff" and it didn't cost me anything, except time!

I made this banner for him from leftover paint drop cloth scraps after the fall pillows were made.

I found this B&W photograph at the Country Living Fair and scored these big frames at the Goodwill when I went to drop off a bunch of toys from his room. Also a lovely lady who was unloading at the same time gifted me this old adding machine which I thought was cool for my little math whiz.
So that's it! He is all grown up now, well maybe not quite but his room is no longer baby-ish and he is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment