Thursday, August 14, 2014

Main Floor Refresh

The other day I looked around and realized my house felt stale, boring and dusty from a summer time long of me playing with the kids and focusing my free time on exercise. We have done bare minimum chores all summer long, I think. I really needed a change so I pulled a bunch of the accesories down and tossed them all on the dining room table, brought up some more from the basement and mixed them all together. I also drug a few out to the garage for a little spray painting change up!

 I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE SPRAY PAINT!

 Fastest way in the world to feel like you have new decor is change up the accesories. It is one of my favorite cleaning and refreshing strategies for the house! Well, also, my budget is nada so I can't just change out the furniture I am oh so tired of and is beginning to look a little on the rough side but I can paint a vase and feel better. Silly? maybe but hey whatever works, right?

Here are some pics of my refreshed rooms
In the kitchen I removed some of the red accesories and went monochromatic with this little black and white rectangular platter I picked up at a yard sale a week ago. 

In the dining room I took down the teal trio of vases and moved some metallics in their place. This mercury glass candle holder was a Goodwill find, the little lanterns are brass and I scored them at a yard sale years ago. They have had many different incarnations over the years including my Christmas mantle more then once. The spheres are just metal banding strips I bolted together for a quick, cheap project. They had most recently been on a occasional table in the living room. I loved them in there as they reinforced the whole metal and airplane thing I got going on but needed a change. I think they look pretty good up here

my watercolor portraits of my children got a quickie refresh with some siver metallic paint on their previously acid green frames

This is my youngest's keyboard where he practices for his piano lessons. It sits in a corner in our dining room so we can remind him to practice and hear him play, especially now that he is in his 3rd year and it actually sounds like music! I often have him play while I make dinner and set the table. This corner got a new rug to cover the keyboard and his stool went from acid green to soft grey and I free handed a number 5 since he is our number five member of the family. The cat also likes to play occasionally by walking across the keys and scaring us half to death when the baby forgets to turn it off. As you can see it is a rough life for a cat here on Clover Ridge

This is our bar wall in the dining room and I gave the lamp a new coat f shiny silver over it's many other colors, most recently teal blue. I hung that fabulous feather plate and took down the lettuce and leaf platters I hung in the spring. And just moved around a few candles and that little wood daisy painting  I made a year or so ago. It has a quieter more elegant feel for now. Although before we know it we will be putting out the pumpkins and mums for fall!

Our little storage bookself in the living room holds card games, dominoes, extra family photos and board games the kids like best. See the mirrored frame I found at Goodwill? I have to order a print of our oldest son's graduation this week to fill it :)

The proverbial key table, we will talk more about this one in a later post!








The mantel just got some fresh hydrangeas from the yard and those uber awesome deer head brass statues I scored at the World's Longest Yard Sale from the sweetest little old lady you ever did see! They were a steal at a buck for the two of them! I honestly felt a little guilty paying so little! And there you have it, my main floor accessory do over! A mulligan of tcotchkes! Anyone else ever do this when you feel cooped up in the house?




 




No comments:

Post a Comment