Saturday, March 2, 2013

spring spruce ups

hello my darlings, I have missed you. Life has become a constant roller coaster of chaos here. My darling husband took a job in another state and is commuting which leaves me over run by the ankle biters! And boy howdy have they been biting! Good grief, having all boys is a special kind of joy. Between basketball practices and karate testing and chorus and piano and driving classes!!! And my sweet special needs boy has been having a time of it. He has had a lot of new adjustments, new faces and new experiences take a long period of adjustment for him. So as you can see I have had my hands full!!

Well it is that time of year for some spring cleaning. As the weather begins to go crazy here in KY. One day we have 45 degree temps and the next 17. The poor tulips don't know what to do!!! Oh that is the other thing I have been doing! I was accepted into the Master Gardener program so I have had classes and midterms and homework! And next week I start my volunteering hours that go with it! Which means, of course, come warm weather my yard is getting some serious TLC!

But in the mean time I want to tell you about the catastrphe I have been dealing with. Of course the husband was away when it all happened, bless his heart. One of the kids said 'Mama why is the floor in the hall wet?" that is never a good way to start the day. A water leak showed up on the ceiling under the upstairs bathrooms. They are back to back. So I spent 2 days in the kids bathroom recaulking, pulling up flooring looking for wet subfloors, checking sink connections. After I replaced the floor and siliconed the tar out of everything I was sure the leak would stop. It didn't....dang it! So I checked the master bath sinks-dry as a bone. In the meantime chunks of drywall start falling in the hall. I poked it with a finger and it went straight thru. Not good!! so I just ripped a bunch down, lol. I looked in the ceiling in the downstairs bath around the vent fan and everything was wet!! Standing water on the ceiling. And as the next few days went by the water spots started creeping down the walls and the wood trim and pretty much everywhere in a 30 foot radius. So I pulled the ceiling down in a big old chunk and guess what was right above it? The shower drain for the master bath. Ok a shower drain can't be that big of a deal, I went and bought one and started repalcing it.
But the leak didn't stop. hmmmmm.... So I took the faucet plate off and looked behind it. Aha! I could see the drip at the water connection. Scary! I can not fix pipes, no other choice but to call a plumber. I was very worried he would have to tear into the wall and bust out the tile and generally make a big ole mess and cost me bushels of cash to fix but he came and tidily broke 2 or 3 tile, fixed the pipe and was gone 25 minutes and 200 bucks later. So I put a bigger drain plate on and covered the hole and wa-la all fixed! Now for the mess! All the drywall under the shower was wet so I had to wait patiently for it to dry. Then I ended up having to repaint the downstairs bath ceiling and walls because of water spots. Reinstall the ventfan. Then cut drywall and fix the big hallway hole!then onto the water stains, requiring all new paint and some repair in the hall.
I decided as long as I had a big ole mess I might as well do everything at once. so i fixed the damage on the stairs caused by 3 boys and countless amounts of metal cars and sports equipment going up and down and banging the wood and restain/paint those too!
Annnddddd I ordered the flooring we have been waiting so long for and it comes next week and guess who is installing it? Yep that's me. But I don't even care how much work it is cuz I have waited 5 years for this!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment